Editors Note: In honor of Women’s History month, the UN Global Compact and UN Women are presenting an annual event to mark the progress and advancement of women around the world. How can we empower women to advance economically, to hold positions of leadership and to equal opportunity in education and society? The events this week include the following program by invitation only. To register your interest in attending, please contact the WEPs Team. Or follow the conversation on 6 March at a live webcast: www.livestream.com/WEPrinciples.
Twitter: @WEPrinciples Hashtag: #strategy4change.
WEPs Annual Event: Inclusion: Strategy for Change
5th Annual Women’s Empowerment Principles Event
Co-Hosted by the UN Global Compact & UN Women
6 March 2013 - 8:30am to 5:30pm
The event—held in observance of International Women’s Day—will focus on how inclusive business strategies and practices drive change towards realizing the Women’s Empowerment Principles and will feature innovative approaches the private sector is taking to overcome challenges to achieve gender equality in the workplace, marketplace and community. Participants will include business leaders and representatives from a wide range of sectors and geographical regions and other key stakeholders from civil society, government and academia.
Participation at this event is by invitation only. Priority will be given to companies that have signed the CEO Statement of Support for the Women’s Empowerment Principles.
WELCOME (9:00 a.m.)
- Mr. David Pearson, Global Corporate Responsibility Leader, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited
- Mr. Georg Kell, Executive Director, UN Global Compact Office
OPENING KEYNOTE REMARKS (9:05)
- Mme. Michelle Bachelet, Under-Secretary-General and Executive Director, UN Women
- Ms. Elizabeth Broderick, Sex Discrimination Commissioner, Australian Human Rights Commission
- Ms. Sung-joo Kim, Founder, Chief Executive Office and Chairwoman, Sungjoo Group and Chairwoman, MCM Holdings
WEPs TEAM and EVENT MODERATOR INTRODUCTION (9:40)
- Ms. Linda Tarr-Whelan, Distinguished Senior Fellow, Demos
WEPs NATIONAL COALITIONS: STAKEHOLDERS ADVANCE GENDER EQUALITY (WEPs AROUND THE WORLD) (9:50)
- Ms. Kristin Hetle, Director, Strategic Partnerships Division, UN Women
GENDER AND GENERATION: REDEFINING ORGANIZATIONAL CULTURE AND LEADERSHIP (10:00)
- Ms. Elisabeth Kelan, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Senior Lecturer, Department of Management, King’s College London
- Mr. Bhushan Sethi, People & Change Practice Lead, Advisory, Financial Services, New York, PwC
- Ms. Nia Joynson-Romanzina, Head Global Diversity & Inclusion, Swiss Reinsurance Company
- Ms. Mary Waceke Muia, HR, Performance and Change Manager Kenya Electricity Generating Company and Founder of Women on Boards Initiative
- Ms. Kimie Iwata, Advisor and Former Representative Director and Vice President, Shiseido Company, Ltd.
- Ms. Valerie Gürtler-Doyle, Head of Diversity and Inclusion, Switzerland, Novartis Pharma AG
- Ms. Maureen Kilgour, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Université de Saint Boniface and Co-Chair, Gender Working Group, Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) and
- Ms. Kathryn Haynes, Ph.D., Northern Society Chair in Accounting, Newcastle University Business School / Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME)
CONVERSATION WITH MS. VALERIE JARRETT, INTERVIEWED BY MR. GEORG KELL (11:30)
- Ms. Valerie B. Jarrett, Senior Advisor to President Barack Obama and Chair of the White House Council on Women and Girls (Biography)
PROMISE AND CHALLENGE: VALUE CHAIN, DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SUSTAINABILITY (11:45)
- Ms. Caroline Lewis, Project Manager, Social Accountability International (SAI)
- Mr. Naveen Narayanan, Senior VP and Head, Global Talent Acquisition & Mobility, HCL Technologies, Ltd.
- Ms. Porie Saikia-Eapen, Managing Director, PRIA Global
- Ms. Claudia Lorenzo, Social Business Director, Coca-Cola Brasil
- Ms. Willa Shalit, President and Co-Founder, Maiden Nation
INNOVATION DRIVING BUSINESS AND EQUALITY (2:15 p.m.)
- Mr. Andrew Morrison, Division Chief, Gender and Diversity, Inter-American Development Bank
- Ms. Yvette Burton, Director, Human Capital Consulting Practice, Deloitte
- Ms. Nur Ger, Founder and CEO, Suteks Tekstil, A.Ş
- Ms. Anna Paula Dacar, General Manager, Dow Coating Materials, Latin America
- Ms. Burcu Türkay, Corporate Communications Specialist, Borusan Holding
- Ms. Irene Natividad, Founder and President, GlobeWomen, Inc.
1st ANNUAL WEPs LEADERSHIP AWARDS — SALUTING CEO COMMITMENT AND INNOVATION TO REALIZE GENDER EQUALITY (3:45)
- The 2013 WEPs Leadership Awards highlight five exceptional leaders advancing the goals of the WEPs.
CLOSING REMARKS (5:00)
- His Excellency Mr. Ban Ki-moon, United Nations Secretary-General